Thursday, January 15, 2009

B.S. Awards - Beer of the Year

Those closest to me know that from time to time, I enjoy to quaff a frosty brew. Ok... just about all y'all know I drinks my fair share of beer. Combine my enjoyment of the brewers' majestic product with my near obsessive proclivity of making lists of my favorite things and you have the daddy of all B.S. Awards.

Me and beer had some good times in 2008... From my Easter Beer hunt to sampling Alaskan Amber while floating by a glacier, I can run a sappy montage of me and beer in my mind over a heartwarming melody. Before I start to cry, on to the list!
1. Newcastle - Always a stable at the top of the list. It never doesn't taste great. It is the standard to which all beers should set to achieve. I'm going to have one tonight to celebrate!
2. Fuller's London Pride - This is a special occasion beer for me. Very tasty. Even better (and more potent?) on tap at the Fox and Goose. Takes me back to walking the Strand in old Londontown.
3. Pale Moon from Blue Moon Brewing - Nice addition to the Blue Moon family. I enjoy a pale ale in the fall time and this one topped both Pyramid's Broken Rake and Sam Adams Octoberfest for me this year. And I love those two beers as well. The touch of orange in the taste I think put it over the top.
4. Sam Adams Light - I'm amazed how they can make a light beer this tasty. It is really a good, solid straight forward beer.
5. McMenamin's Ruby - This is the winner of the B.S. Award for vacation beer of year. A very tasty brew up in Portland. Sadly not available in bottles anywhere. Boo hoo. A hint of rasberry makes this ale stand out.
The rest of the top ten...
6. Pyramid Amberweisen on Tap
7. Sam Adams Octoberfest
8. Alaskan Amber
9. Blue Moon on Tap
10. Dos Equis Amber
In order to celebrate the B.S. Awards I will be putting togehter a group of 6 people and get a sixer of each of these and has a little taste test. Date of this extravanganza is TBA.

No comments: