Thursday, December 28, 2006

Best of 2006 - Entertainment

Here are the movies, tv shows and books that occupied my mind in 2006...

Movies

1. Borat - Very nice!

2. The Departed - A little more violent than Mr. Peace,Love & Happiness would typically enjoy, but it was very well done.

3. Stranger Than Fiction - Will Farrell gets his Jim Carrey moment in this odd, literate movie.

4. Flushed Away - Of course, I see a lot of kids movies and this was my fave. Very funny.

5. Cars - Pixar does nice work. They might just make it.

TV Shows

While most of my tv viewing involves a ball or a puck, I do have some favorite non-sport related shows.

1. The Amazing Race - I know. Reality tv has a bit of a bad rap, but I love this show. The travel; the teamwork; the sweeping scenary. I love it and I'm man enough to admit it.

2. The Office - I loved the British show and really worried about this, but it is great.

3. The Daily Show/The Colbert Report - I'm grouping these as one show cuz they are in a way. This is the main place that I get my news.

4. Best Week Ever - This VH1 show is just like every other VH1 show where they have the comics making wise with hit or miss effect, but I like the current events and they hit more than miss. The second best place for me to get news.

5. Entourage - This show started pretty shallow but has really fleshed out the charachters over the seasons.

Honorable mention - My Name is Earl, 30 Days, Cheap Seats and Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.

Internet Sites

1. U.S.S. Mariner - Very intelligent baseball discussion and early information on the most frustrating baseball team on the planet. But I still cannot stop.

2. Deadspin - This is funniest sports related site ever. Responsible for the phrase "I'm with leather" and the celebrity of Carl Monday.

3. Bad Gnus Blog - Can't wait until I can figure out pictures and some of you post comments on the blog too.

4. The Mighty MJD - Deadspin's poor cousin, but still worth a read.

5. The Phat Free - Entertaining essays from regular Joes.

Books

I know most of you Gnus don't read, so this is really for my own historical benefit.

1. Foop! by Chris Genoa
2. Lord Vishnu's Love Handles by Will Clarke
3. Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
4. Cross Dressing by Bill Fitzhugh
5. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
6. The Contortionist's Handbook by CraigClevenger

No comments: