Friday, December 19, 2008

B.S. Awards - Music Division - Bands of the Year

Those who know me know I spend way too much time obsessing about, downloading and ranking music. Especially for someone who cannot play any tune on any instrument. I do like to rock a mean Guitar Hero axe and croon into the Rock Band mic. After much (too much?) consideration I have released the 2008 B.S. Awards for Music. First up... Band of the Year.



1. The Hold Steady. I love, Love, LOVE the Hold Steady! They were not an instant smash with me, but after a dozen listens, I couldn't put them down. The Hold Steady is kind of a bar band. The singer talks most of his songs and sounds a bit like Bruce Springsteen, but the songs don't really remind me of Springsteen songs. The singer looks more like the IT guy at your work then how you might picture him when you hear him. On stage, he seems like he is having more fun then he should be allowed to have. Especially singing songs about drugs, religion, being wasted, growing older, getting high and insecurities. One of the things I love about the band is the lyrics. I am a sucker for clever lyrics on a rocking beat. The songs are mostly stories about characters that continue through each album. This year's album is going to get the B.S. award for album of the year (sorry to ruin the surprise), but it isn't even their best album. Try out Boys and Girls in America. Rock steady Hold Steady!


2. Weezer. This is a band I was a little late to the party on. I was never a big fan of them in the 90's which is when many of my fave bands originated. But now, I think they are great. My favorite Wii band songs are Weezer songs. I wish I could get just a whole game of just Weezer songs. They are another band with clever and fun lyrics over a rocking beat. Rivers Cuomo seems to be singing a lot about me in many of his songs from The Good Life ("I don't wanna be an old man anymore, it's been a year or two since I've been on the floor. Shakin' booty and makin' sweet love all the night. It's time I got back to the good life.") to this year's Pork and Beans ("They say I need some Rogaine to put in my hair. Working out in the gym to fit my underwear" in a song about just liking who you are). I like that they don't swear in their songs and they are basically hard rockin geeks. =w=


3. Radiohead. They didn't release anything this year but that doesn't mean they didn't get worn out on my iPod. I finally was exposed to them last year. They are an ultimate headphone band to me. Great tracks to just lose yourself in. I can't imagine them related in a concert. Bad Gnus music correspondent, Tuesday Ted, had this to say after seeing them in concert. "I don't know who they are. And I'm sure they are good at what they are trying to do, but that was the worst two hours of my life. The other 20,000 people there seemed to be enjoying themselves, but the only thing it was inspiring me to do was to climb up on the soundstage and see how many rounds from my piece I could unload on fools until I finally swallowed the final bullet for myself to give me a sweet release from the aural pain." I might have blemished his review slightly, but I think I captured the essence of his feelings. We'll have to agree to disagree. They smooth my mellow...


4. Jack White. He gets his own category because he is holding down two bands for me. Last year's stellar White Stripes release just added to the glut of excellent songs from that one man band. This year's release with The Racontuers was a top album of the year for me. He melds hard alternative and blues rock together for a most satisfying dish. Truly a musical genius.


5. Art Brut and Electric Six. Electric Six is a rockin' glam mix that cracks me up and makes my hips shake. They need to be included as a band of the year after Little Sexy won Mariemont Idol - Second Grade Division with his routine to Showtime. It was a real crowd pleaser. A highlight of the year for sure. Art Brut still gets constantly played on my ipod. Dude cracks me up. They are linked with Electric Six to me as I discovered them about the same time and they are both funny but rockin' music. He talks his songs like Craig Finn of The Hold Steady but his songs are typically more straight at you funny. "Don't Tell Your Friends!"

No comments: