Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Be Silent Moves to 2 and 0

Since the passing of my childhood softball team, the Bad Gnus, I have long anticipated the time that a former Gnu will line up against me on the field. It is my hope that eventually each team in the league will feature Bad Gnus. Howard will be running like a gazelle in left field for the Silver Bullets. Pete will be crushing balls over the centerfielder for the T Sox. Erik will be placing basehits for the Long Islanders. Greg will be pitching for the Hanks. John Wiesy will be running through third base coach stop signs for Don’t Panic.

Therefore, I was very excited that my good friend, Teddy Ballgame, was leading off for this week’s opponent, the Silver Bullets. Despite the boring grey shirt, he looked just like his former Gnu self. Swinging at the first pitch, no matter its location, and drilling it into left field for a base hit. Ted is my musical kindred spirit and a guy I never get to spend enough time with. Not seeing him on a weekly basis is the kind of thing that makes cry myself to sleep on Monday nights in the Summer on my big, softball-shaped pilla.

Thankfully, the Bullets had only one former Gnu on their side and aside from that strong, red-headed kid who kept hitting triples, the Bullets were relatively easy to dodge. On the BSBD side, their former Gnu had enough mojo to keep his personal undefeated season alive. Mike’s last career triple was stroked down the left field line (natch!) in the first. Three bases at a time for Big Sexy has been frowned upon by his doctor, wife and knees. 

That hit was surrounded by all manners of hits. All but one BSBD player had a hit in the first inning, resulting in 11 runs. Hard to remember who it was that hit into that odd pop-up, ground-ball double play. No matter, I don’t recall ever being up 11 in the first in a softball game. Oh, I’ve SEEN 11 runs put up in a first inning. Let’s just say it is much more fun watching that from the dugout then from third base.

After that first inning, the game was kind of a snooze-fest. Some balls were hit to fielders. Others were hit where fielders weren’t. It doesn’t deserve the time spend reading this paragraph.

The Smirnoff Ice, Ice-Hole of the game goes to Mother Nature. What was up with the pounding rainstorm while I was trying to enjoy the best part of beer league softball, the beer? I thought the clouds were kinda cool during the game and the reduced temperatures were nice after last week. But what kind of mythical creature would think a Floridian downpour in May at beer:thirty is acceptable? Bad form, Mo Natty. Bad form.

It is difficult to pin down a Shiner Bock player of the game this week. Everyone got in on the action and I can’t remember too many excellent defensive plays that were required. Paul pitched very well in the wind and got a hit or two, but he got credit for Rob’s hit in last week’s write up, so that has to weigh him down a little. Scotty Mac drilled a ball for a ground rule double by the old firehouse and had a hit during the big rally. I hate that local ground rule double rule. I think B Diddy could get at least a triple if he put one out there. Unfortunately, Scott can’t win this week because to get it two straight weeks, you have to top the previous week. Hey, I don’t make up the rules... Well, yes I do, but that’s the rules. Sarah Mac brought goodies again and cheerily sat through in climate weather rooting on the good guys. Sorry, see above. Plus, I was so thrown off by the rain I never even got to personally sample the treats. I didn’t get introduced to the other loyal fans, but I believe  they were with Rob, Robbie and Kyle. 

Robbie was excellent at short and had a hit or two. Combine that with bringing a loyal fan and this week’s Shiner Bock goes to Robbie! Way to go, Robbie!

No comments: