Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Be Silent Quietly Extends Win Streak to 3


Not all softball games are exciting. There are some that are so remarkable that you sit back, years down the road, and reminisce about the time the team rallied from a huge deficit in the last inning to win the big game or the time your buddy threw a ball from shortstop and hit the runner at third base right in the nards. As I relaxed with the boys, sipping one or three Coors Lights, I had a hard time remembering how we even scored in this game. There were hits scattered here and there, but BSBD were only able to plate runners in one inning, when they put up a 5 spot.

The big hit that inning was Mark Enos crushing a triple over the head of the right-centerfielder with the bases loaded. Unfortunately, the Big Sexy, batting in front of Mark, turned that triple into a double by shutting down the engines at third base. Mark’s unfulfilled legs tried to achieve their true outcome by attempting to score from second on an infield error. If he was out by a foot, he was out by 20 feet. (ed note: it was 20 feet).

Thankfully, that was all of the runs BSBD would need to finish with a 5-2 victory. Paul was automatic on the mound, as usual. The defense was stellar as well, led by B Diddy making multiple scoops at first base, Robbie making plays he shouldn’t at short and Mark pivoting one (should have been two, Blue!) double play at second. Hard to forget Bob stretching to the very extent of his flexibility at second base to pick up a ball Mike rolled Bocce-style from his stomach at third.  Unquestionably, the defensive highlight was Young Kyle’s diving catch in centerfield with runners in scoring position. That was remarkable!

The Smirnoff Ice, ice-hole of the game goes to Mike’s right arm. WTF, arm??? Then, as I was deciding if I was more like Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblach, or a real life panda, I was too distracted to even field grounders. You suck arm.

It was a little disappointing to see that the Wonderful Women of Be Silent Be Deadly (heretofore known simply as the Women of BS) were down to a single member this week on such a beautiful Spring night in the park. I don’t even think Nicole saw Young Kyle’s diving catch as her boredom level of the game persuaded her to picking this as a good time to look for a new lock screen for her phone.

The Shiner Bock player of the week was tough to pin down this week as I really had a hard time remembering anything anyone did at the plate. We have all the people mentioned in the fielding paragraph above as likely candidates. Sadly, I do remember what Brett did at the plate. That brings it down to Young Kyle and Mark. Both were very deserving in their own right.

But as I think back about the game, what brought me the most joy was meeting Art Zanze after the game. His enthusiasm and pure pleasure to meet all of Walt’s teammates was wonderful. It is easy to see where Walt gets his happy demeanor and people skills. Art is a treasure and I am happy to have met him. There is something about paternal love that is very special to me. I know that those of you who are fathers or have lost your father or both know where I’m coming from. I would love for my dad to still be around to come out to see me play one more time. Art, this Shiner Bock is for you. I hope there are many more for you in life’s ice chest.

No comments: